Saturday, December 10, 2005

Holy Spirit on the move

Thursday evening I went over to a couple's house from my fellowship to have dinner. We ended up talking for several hours about the Lord--it was great fellowship.

This particular couple has two adult handicapped children, I believe their ages are 30 and 32. They are both precious and funny. The male is a laugh a minute. The female, she's a sweetheart. I love them and their parents.

The female adult had a couple of grand mal seizures this summer, to the point during one of them they did not know if she'd make it. The Lord has put the children deeply on my heart ever since I've known them.

The female has had minor seizures since this summer, and sleeps with oxygen to help her breathing and reduce the possibility of their occuring while she sleeps.

The night that I was over, the wife's sister came over to stay the night as the daughter's caretaker (make sure oxygen is secure, watch her). I was sitting at the kitchen table talking with husband, it was getting late and I was about to head home.

I noticed the wife and sister were in the daughter's bedroom, and as I thought about leaving I got a nudge from the Holy Spirit. It wasn't just to go say goodbye and leave. It was to go pray for the daughter.

I went into the bedroom. The daughter sleeps in a hospital-type bed (with the tilt and elevation features). I stood beside her bed, reached out and put my hand on her left shoulder. She was already asleep. I began to pray quietly out loud as the Spirit led, at first just invoking the Lord's hand, then praying in the Spirit for awhile, then finishing either with the interpretation or in English. I wasn't paying attention if it was actually an interp or simply back into English, I just did as the Spirit led.

Even though the wife and her sister were in there, the Spirit didn't lead for there to be group prayer. The wife was standing beside me as I prayed, and I knew she was likewise in prayer when I was. The sister was behind us on the couch in the bedroom.

When I finished praying I said goodbye to the family and headed home. No fireworks. No strong drama or emotional in the praying (though there are times where the Spirit falls during prayer and prayer is very intense). It was not so this night, in praying for the daughter. I knew the Spirit had led everything, from nudging to pray, to praying solo and quietly instead of as a group, and what to pray.

Today, two days later, I saw the wife again up at the fellowship. She pulled me aside and said "I want to thank you for praying the other night. I don't know if it was before or after you came in the room, but my sister expressed she had an eerie, bad feeling about that night. She had a strong intuition that something was amiss." I shared with her that I had not heard her sister say that.

She went on to say that as I stood there praying she physically felt a burden being lifted from that room. I didn't sense anything, I just knew the Holy Spirit was guiding. She said that even after I finished praying that she felt the burden continuing even afterward to be still lifting.

From what she said, a normal night will involve her tossing and turning, peeking down the hall to see if the light in her daughter's bedroom is on, indicating whoever is watching her daughter through the night is having to do something. It's common for the daughter to have minor seizures when she sleeps, or some other kind of something during the night that requires attention regularly.

She said Thursday night her daughter slept all the way through, which is very much not the normal thing to happen. She said she likewise slept all the way through that night. She didn't sleep lightly, as she normally does, to peek and see if anything is going on or needs attention.

I got a little choked as she said this, for once again as in many situations in the recent past, the Lord has shown His mighty power while veiling my eyes from seeing it. I began to praise Him and praise Him. He has been showing Himself so strongly lately, and choosing to show this power to me after the fact.

I'm perfectly okay with Him doing so this way (like I'd have any say-so anyway, heh heh). The tears stream from humility, that He is gracious enough to reveal what He is doing. There are so many times where the Spirit leads something, and the result will likely not be seen until that Day. And I'm okay with that.

To know that I'm following the leading of the Holy Spirit in something is all that matters to me. I don't have to know or see what God is doing. If I'm following the Spirit, I know He's doing something. If it's for me to see, great. If it's not for me to see, great. "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed" (John 20:29). I know when I'm nudged to do something, to simply do it and know I'm following the Spirit's lead is enough by me.

"So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.' " (Luke 17:10)

To be shown glimpses of what He is actually doing in a situation, by the testimony of brothers and sisters, is glorifying to Him and at the same time so incredibly humbling. Who is man, that God should reveal His intents and purposes to?

There is absolutely nothing special about me, that the Lord should show me what He as Master and Creator is doing. I'm just called to follow. He nudges to do, and I do. Knowing I did for Him, that is all I need. For God to reveal His glory and His workmanship to this imperfect servant, is humbling beyond description. All glory to His Name.

Maybe it's cause I'm foolish enough to take Him at His word. I know He can do absolutely anything. No, really--He can do not only neat things, but "far and above all we could ask or imagine" (Ephesians 3:20). He works in power and amazement and wonder constantly. Would that we would all be so foolish as to believe (1 Cor 1:27). If we would, we might see that He shows us things, not because we're worthy, but simply because it is His good pleasure to do so (Luke 10:21, Ephesians 1:9).

No comments: