Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I don't recall


ever coming across anyone who has called any of you cowards, selfish or thoughtless.

Everyone's thoughts were drawn to certain things from that day.

Some to the planes. Some to the rescue personnel.

I was always drawn to you. The hundreds of you.

I have spent many hours through the years wondering what kinds of things went through your hearts, through your minds.

Each time I've thought of it the deepest core of me has been stirred beyond words. The swirl, the utter dichotomy, the indescribable tearing, the turmoil, the agony. Human expression can't even begin...

What ten thousand things raced through you?

What went through your stomach, your mind, your heart?

When you first realized that...?

Right before you...?

So convenient for outsiders to opine. To denigrate. To condemn and slough off.

They can't imagine.

I can.

You weren't cowards. Not pussies. Not self-centered. Not thoughtless.

Not those of you who had children. Not those of you who had someone you loved deeply and passionately. Not those of you who had nothing. Not those of you who had anything in between.

None of you.

I used to wonder what it was like to be you.

I don't wonder anymore.

No comments: