Wednesday, March 22, 2006

beside the still waters...

Visiting with my close friends and their children this last weekend lifted my spirit in many ways. I was eager to see them again, but hadn't weighed how refreshing the reunion was going to be.

I enjoyed getting acquainted with all their children, each of whom had something that I cherished or admired. The simplicity and energy in their six-month old, the honesty in their four-year old and the eagerness of their nine-year old.

These were all neat, yet it was the Lord in their 13-year old son and 11-year old daughter that stirred even more. Their spirits shone brightly with the Lord and their parents' influence in them.

The 13-year old son exudes a quiet confidence in everything he does. Even when his little brother pushes the envelope (either in play, speech or in chores), he keeps a calmness about him that is noticeable and admirable. Pretty refreshing to see a young man so stable at that age.

I noticed this all weekend, but when we prepped to leave on Sunday was the coolest. His warmth when I hugged him goodbye was genuine and unreserved. Imagine that for a 13-year old American boy.

Then, as we went to the car, he followed outside in the steady rain and handed me an origami work he had done. It's not that he gave, it was that his heart wanted to give. He had taken time to make something, and it was very humbling in this "give me, give me" world to see a teenager's heart wishing to give of himself and his time. His name: Christopher. Living up to his name...and his pedigree.

Finally, the 11-year old daughter. Her spirit spoke to me all weekend. Mainly because I see so much of her mom in her. A heart so big it's uncontainable. A compassion running deeper than most think is possible. Warm, genuine, caring, graceful...

She engaged my daughter, and though seven years separated their ages they were pretty much inseparable. Instead of being self-absorbed in pre-teen girl things, she took my daughter under her wing and they did things together.

She, my daughter and I enjoyed making a cake together Saturday night. We had a ball. They took turns helping with the batter and icing. Even their taking turns in doing things seemed to be a coordination of their hearts. My daughter, though just four, likes to be in charge. She didn't fuss once when it was time to take turns.

I noticed this all weekend. Usually when my daughter is interacting with other kids I end up having to put out small fires or check in regularly to make sure all is going smooth. During this entire weekend there were long periods of uninterruption. Their hearts blended so well together, there was no need to do the regular checking.

When we got ready to leave on Sunday, here comes the giving again. She gave my daughter an old outfit that was still a couple of sizes too big. We all laughed when my daughter tried the outfit on. What did she do? She went and sewed it to make it fit!

She also gave my daughter a small decorative pillow and a couple of bracelets. Again, it wasn't that she gave, it was the joy in her heart to give. It was humbling to see her so willing and giving.

My daughter had been under the weather pretty much all weekend. She had an earache that we fought with much prayer through the night Friday. Sunday, while we were having home church, I asked the 11-year old if she would anoint my daughter with oil and pray for her. She gladly obliged.

Her prayer touched my heart deeply. There was just something about it that moved my spirit. Her love for the Lord, her RELATIONSHIP with Him, showed its strength and depth as she prayed. The 11-year old daughter's name: Grace. Also living up to her name...and her pedigree.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Wow. Thank you for those incredible words. I copied this blog off for the kids to put in each of their scrapbook/journals. What a great blessing for each of us to receive such encouragement. Our kids all immediately loved you and are eager to see you again. What do you think about being an uncle? Uncle Clayton?

Steve Coan said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the kids. When someone loves and respects my kids, they love and respect me. I imagine that’s how God feels, too.