Wednesday, February 28, 2007

some premises of today's Church that I question


I question the notion that Jesus lived a life of suffering and sorrow so that we could live pothole-free lives of bliss.

I question that Christianity seems largely the nostalgic regard of historic events, rather than something that is lived and done while our own hands and hearts get cut and bruised and covered with filthy residue in the process.

I question the stainless and bullet-proof portrayal of being a follower of Jesus.

I question why singing songs seems to be the pinnacle of the faith.

I question why so many who slough Jesus' name out of their mouths have not once themselves gone to the other side of the tracks in town handing out food door-to-door.

I question why buildings are perceived to be holier than the chair you're sitting in right now.

I wonder why followers of Jesus talk about Emmanuel on one hand and speak of "entering His presence" on the other.

I question why Followers live with such a fierce attitude of entitlement.

I wonder why "church" consists of one person giving a monologue.

I question why churches embrace a pastor's "leadership" when in real life shepherds don't lead, they tend their flocks from behind.

I wonder why churches continually put on Leadership Conferences attended in droves, and why there are perpetually so many books and other series and sermons on leadership, when the Way is largely about following, not leading. (In fact, we're also warned that VERY few should aspire to leadership.)

I question why people are misled that they can become a son of God without being broken and dying.

I wonder why God is commonly treated and portrayed as nothing more than a Problem Fixer and Blessing Grantor.

I question why anything which is perceived as not going smoothly is a "battle" or an "attack of the enemy/satan".

I really, really, really wonder why many Followers think this life is only about glory, praise and victory and has zero allowance for hardship and suffering.

I wonder why Followers pass stupidity off as persecution.

I wonder why people ask me to pray for someone's healing, then go off on a 15-minute monologue about all the surgery and medication options.

I wonder why we ask Jesus to come into our life when His invitation is that we come into His.

No comments: